Arsenal said on Tuesday they have agreed to sell France international midfielder Samir Nasri to Premier League rivals Manchester City.
In a statement on their Web site, the Gunners said: “Arsenal can confirm that they have agreed terms for Samir Nasri to move to Manchester City.”
Nasri, who featured in Arsenal’s weekend home loss to Liverpool, had been angling for a move to Eastlands for weeks after big-spending City dangled a significant wage rise and the Londoners reluctantly agreed to do business as he is out of contract at the end of the season.
Arsenal allowed Nasri, 24, to travel to Manchester for a medical, meaning he would not feature in the Gunners’ crucial Champions League playoff second leg at Udinese yesterday.
“The move will be subject to Nasri passing a medical and formal registration processes,” Arsenal said.
Nasri spent three years with Arsenal after joining from Olympique de Marseille.
His departure is a further blow for Gunners coach Arsene Wenger, who has already lost captain Cesc Fabregas to Barcelona, and who now has to deal with a number of injuries and suspensions.
“The summer was very difficult because we had Cesc Fabregas and Nasri on permanent transfer negotiations and that is draining in the end,” Wenger told BBC Sport. “We lost two great players and that’s a sad side of the story, but at some stage it has to be over, because you want to focus on the future.”
Wenger also faces a two-match touchline ban from UEFA after he was charged with breaking the terms of a one-match ban during the first leg against Udinese.
The Frenchman has appealed the ban and he was free to take his place in the dugout against the Italians after UEFA stayed his two-match ban, meaning the suspension does not take immediate effect while the governing body’s Control and Disciplinary Committee assesses the merits of the appeal.
Wenger is also under pressure in the league where two matches have brought one point and zero goals to date, after the Liverpool loss followed an opening draw with Newcastle United.
Nasri’s move is also bound to be seen as further evidence of the shift in power from Arsenal, without a major trophy since 2005, to City, who ended a 35-year wait for significant silverware by winning the FA Cup last season.
That campaign also saw City leapfrog Arsenal into third place in the Premier League and automatic qualification for the Champions League group stages.
The Badminton World Federation (BWF) hailed Taiwan’s Tai Tzu-ying after her win at the All England Open Badminton Championships with a video montage on Facebook as the shuttler began 14 days of self-quarantine on her return to Taiwan. The BWF Facebook group released the video on Friday, saying: “She is terrific, she is tenacious, she is the queen. All hail Queen Tai,” lauding her third All England title after her 21-19, 21-15 victory over top seed and then-world No. 1 Chen Yufei of China in in Birmingham on Sunday. Tai on Wednesday posted a photograph of herself onboard an EVA Airways flight
Los Angeles Clippers owner Steve Ballmer is buying the Forum for US$400 million, ending the billionaire’s legal fight with Madison Square Garden Co (MSG) and clearing the way to build a new arena for his NBA team down the street in Inglewood, California. Ballmer on Tuesday announced his cash purchase of the venerated arena. Ballmer, a former Microsoft executive, and Clippers vice chairman Dennis Wong are making the transaction through CAPSS LLC, a newly formed entity that would continue to operate the Forum as a live music venue. “This is an unprecedented time, but we believe in our collective future,” Ballmer said.
Two great US pastimes, baseball and fantasy sports, were at the center of a court battle on Friday even as ballparks across the country stood silent and empty amid the COVID-19 pandemic. Arguing over a suit that was filed as players were about to report for spring training, lawyers for Major League Baseball (MLB) and two teams urged a federal judge to toss out a claim by fantasy sports participants that they were defrauded by MLB’s sign-stealing scandal. An attorney for the DraftKings participants said that fantasy baseball is marketed as based entirely on performance statistics and they would not have entered
DISSENT: The US track and field body joined sports officials in Norway and Brazil, as well as Indian athletes, in calling on the IOC to postpone the Tokyo Olympic Games Tokyo 2020 organizers have started drafting possible alternatives to holding the Olympics this summer, two sources familiar with the talks said, in contrast to the Japanese government’s stance that postponement is not an option. While the COVID-19 pandemic has disrupted sports events around the world, Japan has been steadfast in saying that the Games would go on. A Japanese government spokesman on Wednesday said that Tokyo was not preparing for postponement. “Finally, we have been asked to make a simulation in case of a postponement,” said one of the sources, an official close to the organizing committee who is involved in drafting the