Six Philippine fishermen on Saturday accused Philippine and Taiwanese labor brokers of making excessive deductions from their salaries.
The fishermen, based in New Taipei City’s Shenao Fishing Port (深澳漁港), said that NT$8,000 had been deducted each month from their salaries for up to 14 months.
“In Taiwan, we feel we have been deceived, overcharged and do not have a broker who we can readily consult, trust to translate on our behalf, take care of our concerns, protect our interests and represent our welfare,” the fishermen said in a joint letter.
The letter was filed with New Taipei City’s Labor Affairs Department last month.
The men said they were asked to sign a promissory note stating that they had acquired a loan, with the amount and person owed left blank, adding that they were also asked to sign an affidavit stating that the deduction was a placement fee and not a loan, and that they would have to pay the full amount if their contract were terminated.
One of the fishermen, Rey Dela Roca Jolloso, said that had he not signed the paperwork, he would have had to pay for the airline ticket to Taiwan, which he could not afford.
“When I was about to board the plane [to Taiwan], they covered up the text and told me to quickly sign the bottom corner of each page,” Jolloso said, adding that his airplane ticket was paid for by a broker in the Philippines and the cost was added to his processing fee.
He said his employer in Taiwan paid his processing fee and that he agreed to return an unspecified amount, which would be paid by deductions from his salary.
The case was brought to the labor department, but negotiations broke down on July 2, because it was not clear who was making the deductions, department official Chris Wu (吳健寰) said.
“The Taiwanese broker said the deductions were made by overseas employment agencies, so the Philippine representative office has been asked to investigate the matter,” Wu said, adding that according to Taiwanese law, labor brokers in the nation are not allowed to charge so-called “job-buying fees.”
A representative of Hoya Human Resources, the men’s broker in Taiwan, said the department had already closed the case.
“From the start, this matter has been influenced by the church, which must have its own agenda,” the representative said.
He was referring to a matter from two years ago when a church in Taiwan helped three fishermen represented by the firm file a complaint over mistreatment by their employer and asked to be transferred to another employer.
“Because I denied their request, I believe they are now retaliating,” the representative said.
Leoni Pascual Ngo, a staffer at the Migrant Workers’ Concern Desk of the Catholic Archdiocese of Taipei, said the previous case was about the three fishers having to purchase their own personal protective equipment instead of having them provided by their employer.
She said the broker also wanted to charge the three fishermen NT$20,000 each to be rehired.
She denied that the church was “retaliating” against the broker.
Allison Lee (李麗華), secretary-general of the Yilan Migrant Fishermen’s Union, said that massive deductions from fishers’ salaries have been rare in the past six years after the Manila Economic and Cultural Office in Taipei (MECO) clamped down on illegal deductions and stepped up efforts to look after the welfare of Philippine fishers.
Lennon Ying-dah Wong (汪英達), director of the service center and shelter for migrant workers at the Serve the People Association in Taoyuan, said that the government should forbid brokers and employers from making salary deductions without the consent of employees.
MECO said that it plans to meet with Hoya Human Resources tomorrow to discuss the matter, while the Philippine employment agency has said it would return any excess fees.
The Supreme Court on Tuesday found four men guilty of attempted murder in the 2017 stabbing of Spanish surfer Ignacio Prio on a Pingtung County beach in the final ruling in the case, sentencing them to three-and-a-half to six years in prison. The defendants had appealed their convictions for attempted murder in the first and second rulings, which had also led to prison sentences ranging from three-and-a-half years to six years. The then-42-year-old Prio went to Jialeshui Beach (佳樂水) near Kenting (墾丁) on March 31, 2017, was attacked after he asked four men to remove their fishing lines from an area
‘IMMORAL, INSINCERE’: Huang Kun-huei said that Ma was ‘distorting history’ in claiming that Lee Teng-hui laid the foundation for the so-called ‘1992 consensus’ Former Presidential Office secretary-general Huang Kun-huei (黃昆輝) on Saturday rejected former president Ma Ying-jeou’s (馬英九) claim that former president Lee Teng-hui (李登輝) had been a proponent of Beijing’s “one China” principle. Lee, who served as president from 1988 to 2000, died in Taipei on Thursday last week. After visiting the Taipei Guest House on Saturday to pay his respects to Lee, Ma posted on Facebook that “28 years ago on this day” Lee hosted a session of the now-defunct National Unification Council, during which he passed a resolution on the “one China” principle. That resolution became the basis of the Chinese Nationalist Party’s
NEW ERA: Taiwan, which has controlled its virus outbreak, now faces the challenge of safely resuming economic exchanges with other nations, Chang Shan-chwen said People should not focus entirely on having zero new confirmed COVID-19 cases in Taiwan, but neglect overall control over the disease situation, Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) specialist advisory panel convener Chang Shan-chwen (張上淳) said yesterday. Chang made the remark at a forum in Taipei discussing the steps Taiwan should take in the post-pandemic era, organized by the Chinese-language magazine Global Views Monthly. Chang, Centers for Disease Control (CDC) Director-General Chou Jih-haw (周志浩), and Stanford University’s Center for Policy, Outcomes and Prevention director C. Jason Wang (王智弘) each made a presentation, followed by a panel discussion with Chang, Wang and Buddhist Tzu
ANOTHER IMPORT: A Filipina who arrived on Friday to visit family developed a fever on Saturday and test results yesterday were positive, making her Taiwan’s 465th case The government’s real-name mask purchasing system is to be continued until at least the end of the year, the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) said yesterday, as it reported a new imported COVID-19 case from the Philippines. The center would continue to requisition mask production to ensure people can buy masks using the real-name system until the end of December, said Centers for Disease Control (CDC) Deputy Director-General Chuang Jen-hsiang (莊人祥), the CECC’s spokesman. While the CECC requisitions about 8 million masks per day to ensure there are enough for the real-name system, more than 10 million masks are produced per day